How can I relieve bloating?
- Try a low FODMAP diet.
- Relaxation, hypnotherapy, meditation can help to decrease the sensitivity and spasm in the bowel.
- Antispasmodic drugs reduce the spasms that cause gas to become trapped in the bowel. Peppermint oil (Colpermin, Mintec) also disguise the smell of gas.
- Bulk laxatives can help some people by encouraging expulsionof faeces and gas.
- Some Probiotics and Prebiotics.
Simethicone, (Gas-X ,Ovol, Phazyme, Windcheaters). is an inert polymer that is said to work by reducing the surface tension of small air bubbles, thereby allowing them to coalesce into larger bubbles that are more easily eliminated.
- Beano (Alpha-Galactosidase) Beano (Alpha-galactosidase) is an active ingredient of Beano, and is derived from a fungus. It breaks down complex sugars, found in cruciferous vegetables and beans, and facilitates their digestion, preventing fermentation and gas. Beano is a healthy supplement that can help reduce bloating and flatulence if taken before a meal NB There is the potential for allergic reactions to alpha-galactosidase among patients allergic to moulds.
- Antrantil, a cocktail of herbal remedies
- Activated Charcoal is said to trap chemicals that are responsible for bloating. Common side effects include black coloured stools and constipation. Activated Charcoal has had mixed reviews for IBS